About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sleepy New Year

On Saturday, January 1, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Sunny. Arose at 1:30. Mary got up at 7:30 and made a fire. I cut wood from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. Shaved before supper. Mary and Baby Jane went to Jamison's store at 6:30 p.m. We feel tough after losing sleep. Mary and the girls went to YMCA at 3 p.m. to see Norman's class do "stunts". Happy New Year! Here in 2011, we are expecting rain later today, but much warmer temps than we have been seeing. I am excited about starting a new year as we follow my great-grandfather's diary. Last year we went through 1916, the year of my grandmother's birth. This time we will be in 1927, the year of my great-uncle Roger's birth. It will be interesting to see how things have changed. A couple of notable things right from the start: Norman, the first born son, and Annah Lee, my grandmother are both obviously 11 years older and there is a another child in the family now, who we all call Baby Jane. I'll need to check some sources and see how old Baby Jane is at this point. If any family are reading this and happen to know, please comment, or email and let me know. If you have read this blog in the past, you know that often I have more questions than answers about what Bonnie writes, but it is still a lot of fun. I would love to know why they lost so much sleep last night and why Bonnie got up at 1:30. Was there a party to ring in the New Year? He must not have been too tired as he worked hard for 3 hours in the middle of the day. Also, I remember from 1916's diary that Norman was a toddler and did some "stunts", but apparently now as a pre-teen he has to go to a class to learn some stunts. I am glad the girls went and showed their support while Bonnie was cutting wood. Also, it looks like the days in 1927 are going to line up with days in 2011, which will be nice as well. Now, when we go to church, the Elmores will too and when start the work week, Bonnie will as well. For the Clings in 2011, we will be staying around the house today doing lots of church work: bulletins, newsletter, power-point, and final sermon preparation as well as continuing to take down Christmas decorations. All the big stuff like the tree and the outdoor decorations came down yesterday. Caleb and I have been watching soccer this morning and hope to squeeze in some college football this afternoon. Mom returns to Roanoke today after a weekend trip to Staunton to see family.

No comments:

Post a Comment