About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Night in Babylon

On Tuesday, January 18, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Light rain-Cloudy. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:55. Had hard day's work. Paid water and light bill at 1:45. Mary went to Belmont school. I talked to Nettie Fisher at 5;30. Got my gray pants from Oak Hall. No charge for repairing. We stayed up until 11:00, waiting for Norman to come. On Wednesday, January 19, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Cloudy. Arose at 5:55. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. The children are off from school today. I went downtown at noon. Got school books. Wrote specifications for E.A. White from 5:10 to 6:50. Ate supper at a restaurant at 7:00. Got home at 7:30. Going to Bluefield Friday. On Thursday, January 20, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-Warm. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Went to Musser's store for milk etc. Left home 7:45. Got a check for $1.00 from E.A. White. Got it cashed at noon. Got a haircut at 2 p.m. Mr. Turner went to Wytheville p.m. Mrs. Spillan took us to church in her car at 7:30 p.m. Dr. Violette preached on "A Night in Babylon" So much I could say, but I am still at the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, MD and have been having computer problems. That is why I didn't post for a couple of days there. I am in the computer lab tonight and still have homework and packing to do. I go home tomorrow provided that the snow forecasted does not cause me a problem. Everyone in the class has been sick, but fortunately I have stayed unscathed to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment