About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cowley killed

On Friday, January 21, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Cloudy. Mr. Cowley killed. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 8:10. Left on No. 1 for Bluefield. Went to Mr. Raitt's office at 1:10. Lockhart went to the car with me. I ate dinner alone. Walked around town until 4:00. Talked to Lockhart until 5:00 p.m. Mr. Wiltsee, Mr. James and I ate supper 6:30. Took dictation, wrote until 10:30. Home 1:30. On Saturday, January 22, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot-Like Spring. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Took files to the office in grip. Deputy Sergeant called me on the phone for jury duty in Law and Chaucery Court Monday 24th. Cut wood from 3:50 to 5:30 p.m. Mary, Baby Jane and Annah Lee got haircut uptown. I took bath 7:00 p.m. Read until 11:15. Ate Candy. Got to bed 12:00. Sounds like Bonnie had a business trip to Bluefield, W.Va., possibly to see an old boss that we knew in 1916, Mr. Raitt. He must have eaten lunch alone and didn't get home until wee hours of the morning. I wonder who Mr. Cowley is and how he was killed.? The jury duty thing could make for some interesting story lines. I know Bonnie liked candy and he stayed up late to eat some. The women of the family had a girls day out to get some hair done. Doing house chores here in 2011 and just enjoying being home after a week long business trip. Calling for big snow here middle of next week. We'll see if that holds, most of then have fizzled out this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment