About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, January 3, 2011

Back to School

On Monday, January 3, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-Mild. Arose at 6:00. Made fire. Dumped ashes. Fired furnace. Shaved. Left home 7:45. The children returned to school. I don't feel good. Worked hard today. Paid insurance at noon. Got home at 6:15 p.m. Read after supper. Mary played and we sang. Norman vomited in the night. So Bonnie got up early this morning in 1927 and it sounds like that was mostly to heat the house. Which is a little ironic, as I will be doing another TV spot tomorrow morning very early, 5 a.m. to be exact, to talk about safely heating your home. Our kids also returned to school today. I did find out from my mother that Bonnie and Mary had 3 children within 2 years between 1915 and 1917. So presently, in 1927, they have 3 children: Norman who is about 12, Annah Lee who is about 11 and Baby Jane who is about 10. Roger comes along later this year (1927) and then Jeanine some time after that. I have fond memories of listening to my grand-mother Annah Lee play the piano. In fact, sometimes when we would go over to her house, after supper, we also would gather around the piano while she played and we would sing. I guess I know now where that came from. The closest we get to that in 2011 is turning up some music on the computer or an ipod and then we all dance around and act silly. Still makes for some fond memories I hope. I do see one thing that hasn't changed: Norman still throws up 11 years later. If you have children then you know this kind of thing happens and probably not a coincidence that they went back to school today. We have chili in the crock pot tonight and Beth and Caleb are at a class for Caleb to increase his speed and agility before spring soccer season. The VT Hokies play football tonight in the Orange Bowl against Stanford. I will be watching on the TV and pulling for the Hokies to win, even though I think they will have an up hill battle.

1 comment: