About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, January 7, 2011

Blue Cheviot Suit

On Friday, January 7, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Windy-Cold. Effie has been dead 1 year. Arose at 6:30. Made fire. Dumped ashes. Coaled the furnace. Left home. Got my hair cut at 1:45. Wrote lot of mail. Mary and Loam went to see Jane. I made fire in range 6:30. My blue cheviot suit was delivered, altered. Mary ironed after supper. I read until 10 o'clock. Retired at 11:00. I think I remember reading about Effie in 1916's diary, but right now I can't remember who she is. Again to family members who may be reading this please let me know. I am guessing that the other day when Bonnie "banked" the furnace, he put coal in it. Today he called it "coaling" the furnace. I don't know what kind of range Bonnie is referring to. Would this be a cooking range that was wood fired? I remember reading in 1916 about the cheviot suits. I think it is a type of fabric and it was used to make very popular suits. Since my wife has been reading and commenting (see yesterday's post) here is one for her: What is ironing? I have never heard of anyone doing that before? Only kidding of course! Snowing here in 2011 tonight. Sticking on grassy surfaces only. We are having some home repairs done to the fan in the bathroom. We had hoped to be more productive tonight like putting away more decorations, but I think tonight will be a lazy night of reading, watching TV, and enjoying each other's company. Guns and Hoses Hockey is tomorrow night. GO HOSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment