This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fair in Town!

On Sunday, September 24, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Sunny. Arose at 7:30. Shaved. Mary and I went to Presbyterian Church at 11 a.m. Went over home at 2 p.m. Blaine and I went to Mountain Park. Ate supper at Loam's. Aunt Annah, Mr. and Mrs. Raines went to Auditorium. Blaine and I talked to Howard Fisher, Jake and Raymond McDermott. I got home at 11 o'clock. Norman cut his mouth on cob. On Monday, September 25, 1916: Cool-Clear. Arose at 7 a.m. Got to work 8:30. Wore my pin-striped suit. I wrote a letter for Everett to H.F. Greenwood. Wrote good many letters. Feeling pretty bad today. Went over home for supper. Left Mama's at 8:30 and went to town. Blaine went to see Mr. Sullivan. I came home at 10:30, feeling badly. On Tuesday, September 26, 1916: Cold and Warm. Arose at 7:15. First day of the fair. Worked steadily and hard all day. Mary and Aunt Annah took the children to see the Edwards but they were away. Cut wood before supper and shaved. Played with Norman until 9:30 p.m. Read the paper. Made a fire this morning. Very chilly. Worked very hard all day. On Wednesday, September 27, 1916: Cool in a.m., Warm in p.m. Arose at 7:20. Got to work at 8:30. Today is second day of fair. We all witnessed the aeroplane flight from the office window. Completed "Track Work" for W.P. Wiltsee. Ate dinner at Mrs. Raines'. Aunt Annah and Mrs. R went to the fair. Norman and I got candy at Hurst's. Mary and I went to Auditorium at night to hear Arthur Moore. Home at 10 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment