This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cussed Out

On Thursday, September 28, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Fine weather. Arose at 7:00. Made a fire. Got to work 8:30. Mr. Schick gave Mr. Raitt, Capt. Rowan and I a complimentary fair and car tickets. Got off work at 12 noon. Rode home in tricycle car with Pete Guerraut. Gave Skin my ticket to the fair and Everett and I went to the picture show. Cleaned up the back yard. Took a cold bath at night. Heavy Rain. On Friday, September 29, 1916: Cloudy-cold. Arose at 7:30. Got to work at 8:30. Indexed and filed mail. Got a card from Bob Elmore and letter from Chauncey D. Elmore. Carter Thompson came to our office. Mr. Schick went to Bedford, Va. to go over church matter. Came back #3, 4:30. I got hair cut at 6:00 p.m. Stopped by Mrs. Raines' Read paper at night and retired at 10 p.m. On Saturday, September 30, 1916: Cool-Clear. Arose at 7:10. Cut wood and made a fire. Got tobacco at Joe Milan's and to work at 8:35. Went to bank twice. Got my check cashed. Talked with Skin about Blaine. Very fine day. Mary and I went uptown and paid some bills. I went to show at night at "Virginia" Theater. Came home on car at 10 p.m. End of month note for September 1916: The fair was reputed to be the largest and best of all. Blaine at home this month on 30 day visit. Very fine autumn weather this month. Infantile paralysis is scaring the people here this month. 4 cases in all. Very hot month. Joint American and Mexican Commission of peace to meet this month. We are worried about Annah Lee's condition. Louis Layman of Troutville, Va. killed in France on August 12th. "Infantile paralysis" reported to be prevalent in Roanoke. Great scare. On Sunday, October 1, 1916, Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very Cool. Arose at 8 a.m. Made a fire and shaved. Went to First Christian Church. Aunt Annah went to spend day with Mrs. Hughes, while ill. We ate dinner at home and took the children up to Mrs. Raines and ate supper. Ruth Edwards and Miss Brooks came over. Aunt Annah, Mr. and Mrs. R went to Auditorium. Harry went on his vacation West. On Monday, October 2, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Clear. Arose at 7 a.m. Got to work 8:30. Paid some bills. Wrote Bob Elmore. Mary went to Dr. Lawson's office with her mother, called me on phone. Mrs Raines ate dinner with us. Got 3 tons coal from Pitzer $12.00. Went to Bank for Mr. Schick at 3 p.m. W.K.B. Steffey employed. Talked Bill Fisher. Mr. Schick "cussed me out" for being late. Stayed home at night and read. On Tuesday, October 3, 1916: Very cool. Mr. Schick left on #1 to go over N. R. H&M Rd. Went out to Mr. Schick's house for legging at 9 o'clock. Wrote specifications for Mr. Wiltsee. Cut wood at 6 o'clock. Mary took Norman to Mrs. Raines'. She and Fannie Miller came down. I shaved and read the paper. Took a bath at 10:30 and retired at 11 p.m. Just quickly: The end of month note for September was interesting. I would really like to know what Annah Lee's condition was. They are really concerned. She was my grandmother and I know that she lived to be in her 90's and was really pretty healthy most of her life that I knew her. So, it couldn't have been anything real serious. Do they think she has this "infantile paralysis"? Also, wow, Bonnie got cussed out by his boss for being late! That was a new one for me. I also got a kick from yesterday's entries when everyone watched the aeroplane flight from the office window as a part of the fair that is in town. Airplane flights in and out of Roanoke are now so common that no one hardly notices. Only when Air Force One is in town doing touch and go's do some people take notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment