This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Thursday, September 23, 2010


On Thursday, September 21, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very-cold. Arose at 7:30. Mr. Schick away. Wrote mail. Dropped Dr. Hagan. Norm in p.m. Nathan Raitt came to office. Feeling pretty much all in today. All loafing. Fixed my shoes at Mrs. Raines. Mary rolled Norman up to Mrs. Raines'. Mary and I went to tent meeting on Campbell Ave. Mr. Moore presiding. On Friday, September 22, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Warm-Rain. Arose at 7:30. Got to work at 8:45 a.m. Indexed and filed correspondence. Read "At the Foot of the Rainbow". Mr. Schick came home at 4:35 p.m. Went over town and got 2 cigars for Mr. Raitt and myself. Thunder and rain at 5 o'clock p.m. Ate supper at Mrs. Raines and shaved. Came home at 8:30 p.m. On Saturday, September 23, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Sunny. Arose at 7:30. Got to work at 8:35. Bass, Roberts and I carried books over to storage. Wrote only 3 letters in morning. Mrs. Raines, Aunt Annah and Mary took children to Waverly Place. I took bath at Mrs. Raines at 4 p.m. Went to "Bijou" came home at 6:30 and read paper and stayed home at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment