About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, October 10, 2010

Possum Creek Viaduct

On Friday, October 6, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Cloudy. Arose at 7:30. Indexed and filed correspondence. Wrote rail specifications for Wiltsee. Rolled Norman up to Mrs. Raines'. Mr. Raitt didn't come to the office in the afternoon. Mary and I went to auditorium at night. Mrs. Raines came down. Bought shoe polish. Came home at 10 p.m. Retired at 11 p.m. On Saturday, October 7, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Sunny. Arose at 7 a.m. Wrote for W.P.W. Capt. Rowan and I went to see the Buffalo Bill parade. Mr. Schick came in. I talked to McLean on street. Went over home after dinner. Went to "American". Also "Bijou" and "Comet" with Blaine. Mama and Christine came down and went to show. Blaine gave Mama money and got barrel of flour. We talked to Joe Tapley at 11:30 on Jefferson St. On Sunday, October 8, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very Hot. Arose at 8 a.m. Mr. Raines and I rolled Norman to Waverly. Mr. and Mrs. R ate dinner with us. Mary, Mr. and Mrs. Raines and I went to auditorium. Ate supper at home. Mama, Teeny, Blaine, Jake and I went to Fisher's. I came home on car at 10:30. Blaine gave me a dime. Buffalo Bill's show wrecked on Va. Ry. 22 horses killed. On Monday, October 9, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Awfully Hot. Arose at 7:15. Norman is 20 months old today. Completed Mr. Wiltsee's work. Blaine ate dinner with us today. Norman was afraid of him. I shaved after supper. Drizzling rain at 5:30 p.m. Stayed in at night and read and played with Norman. Loam called me up on phone asking about Blaine going away. On Tuesday, October 10, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cooler-Cloudy. Arose at 7:30 a.m. Annah Lee is today 9 months of age. Mr. Raitt and Bass and left on No. 6 to work on the "Possum creek viaduct" All my work up. Aunt Duck spent day with Mama. I went over home at 3:30 p.m. Stayed for supper. Took Aunt Duck's picture. Blaine and I went to church services at auditorium in morning. Very cold after 6 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment