This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fainting Spell

On Friday October 13, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Frost-Cold. Arose at 7:30. Made a fire. Went by Joe Milan's and got tobacco. Saw Howard Fisher. Got to work 8:40. Mr. Schick returned. Wrote to Blaine. Not much work. Mary called me up. Also Mrs. Dogan. Sent order to Mama. Ate supper at Mrs. Raines' Went to the auditorium. Talked to Harry and May Crumpacker. Also Everrett St. Clair Home 10:00. On Saturday, October 14, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Clear. Arose 6:30. Made a fire got to work on time. Not much mail. Went to bank for J.W. Raitt. Shriner's parade here today. Cleaned up yard and shaved. Went to Shriner's parade and to the station with Everrett St. Clair to meet Harry Raines. Went to "American" at night and cmae home with Jones Gardner. Very Chilly. On Sunday, October 15, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Cloudy. Arose 8:00. Harry Raines came down and stayed to 12 o'clock. Mary and I took Norman to Mrs. Raines in p.m. Read N.Y. Journal. Took a bath. Ate supper at Mrs. Raines'. Stayed home at night. Didn't go to see Mama. Arthur Moore preached his last sermon at Auditorium. Mr. and Mrs. Raines went over. On Monday, October 16, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Cloudy. Arose at 7:20. Got to work 8:35. Mr. Schick went to Philadelphia for 2 weeks. Not much work. Wrote an application for Skinny. Finished reading "Romance of Old Fashioned Gentleman" Ate supper at Mama's. Papa gave me 5 cents carfare. Watched Coast Artillery Drill. Came home at 10 p.m. Rain and Lightning. On Tuesday, October 17, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Pleasant. Arose at 7:15 a.m. Capt. Rowan had fainting spell and I caught him and placed him in chair. Took him home in ambulance. Ate lunch at Mrs. Raines'. Bought "The Eyes of the World". Got haircut. Went over to see Capt. at his home. Wrapped razor. Went to drug store for cigar. Read book and newspaper. Aunt Annah went to church. Well, sounds like the revival at the auditorium is over. I don't know who Arthur Moore was. Sounds like Bonnie had some excitement with catching one of his bosses when he fainted at work. I wonder what ambulances were like in 1916 in Roanoke. Roanoke is considered to be the birth-place of the first Rescue Squad/Life Saving crew. Interesting that the ambulance took Capt. Rowan to his home. I am guessing that the ambulance service was not much more than just a ride, a transportation service. I also think that a lot of those early ones may have been run by the undertaker, which I suppose could have been convenient at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment