About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, December 19, 2009

You shave, I'll Shave, We'll all shave

On Tuesday December 19, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Snow. Arose at 10 a.m. Jake and I went to post office and mailed cards. Ate Dinner with John Lawlor. Shaved. Philip Oyler and I went to Theatre and saw fine play Douglas Fairbanks in "The Lamb". Bought a collar. Came to Selma in car. Talked to Luxey Thomas. Jake Shaved. Met Ollie Smith at eventide. Jake stayed with Phil Oyler. Ok, the snow I referenced yesterday, well we ended up getting about 16 inches here in Roanoke in 2009. And the time that I thought I would have today to do more blog posting didn't happen because I got woke up this morning at 3:30 a.m. to assist with finding shelter for people being rescued off the Interstate and then got called in to help staff the Emergency Operations Center and finally got home around 5:30 p.m. Bonnie and Jake are still in the Selma area, where Bonnie couldn't help but to try out the theatre there too and enjoyed a Douglas Fairbanks movie. Other than that the biggest events of the day were going to the post office and shaving. Jake shaved, Bonnie Shaved, I shaved when I got home from the EOC. Anyway, lots of snow here, no church tomorrow for the second week in a row, and very dangerous conditions outside. I feel some football watching coming on strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment