About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, December 4, 2009

Busy Day

On Monday December 4, 1916, Bonnie wrote: Cold-Cloudy. Arose at 7:30. Made a fire. Worked steadily all day. Capt. Rowan here all day. Mr. Eiffert returned "When a Man's a Man". Wrote up records of service for Relief Department. Wrote letters to Lena and Dr. Hugh J. Hagan. Shaved after supper. Ruined small pictures pasting them in my album. Feeling poorly. Retired at 10:30. I worked steadily all day today too, didn't take a lunch and didn't get to work out. Sounds like Bonnie could have used some lessons in scrap booking. We went as a family tonight to see a play called "Papa's Angels" at the Attic Theater in Fincastle, a touching Christmas story. The whole family is excited about the possibility of the first measurable snow fall of the year tomorrow. I read an interesting article about Christianity today from Esquire magazine. I am not a normal reader of the publication but a well known preacher by the name of Rob Bell posted on his Twitter account and that is how I came across it. It talked about how Christians should be showing more of God's love to the world so that people are fascinated about faith instead of frightened by it. I thought it was well stated and posted it to my Facebook and Twitter accounts, but didn't get much response. I also had a great meeting at work today with the director of Camp Roanoke about the possibility having a fire safety related camp for kids there this summer. It sounds promising. Also looking forward to watching the Carson-Newman Eagles play in a football playoff game tomorrow on ESPN. My sermon still needs a little work too.

No comments:

Post a Comment