About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, December 13, 2009

World War I and Get Your Own Shoes!

Ok, didn't get a chance to post yesterday as we were busy getting ready for the church to come to our house for a Christmas party and I got called out on a fire. Today there is no church as there is ice, so I will try to catch you up and do 2 posts at once here. On Tuesday December 12, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Snowing. Arose at 7:30. Mary made a fire. I walked to town with Bob Bob McLellan. Got to office at 8:45. Indexed and filed. The German, Bulgarian, Turkish and Austria-Hungarian nations today offered peace proposals for the ending of the war. Mrs. Raines came home from Richmond and Norfolk. We ate supper there. Aunt Annah came home with us. Very cold after 6 p.m. The interesting history tidbit that I had mentioned before is this mention of an offer of peace to end World War 1. I can't find much about this on the History Channel website and I don't think it was accepted. Glad to Have Mrs. Raines home again. Very cold and also winter weather here in 2009 as well. On Wednesday December 13, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Cold-Flurring. Arose at 7:20 Mary made a fire. Got to work at 8:35. Went out to Mr. Schick's house and got his shoes. Gloomy cloudy day. Got 2 cigars from Joe Milan's. Ate supper with Momma this evening. Tried to cut off water but failed. Jake agreed that we should go to Selma, VA on Monday, 18th. This was an intensely cold night. Oh, the things a Secretary must do sometimes! Now how did Mr. Schick forget his shoes this morning? It is so cold outside. Maybe he wore boots to work and then needed shoes. I think Bonnie was regular customer at Joe Milan's. Candy, newspapers, and cigars seem to be regular purchases. Did Mrs. Elmore have a leak of some sort? If she did, Bonnie could not get the water cut off. Jake, is Bonnie's brother and I am not sure what is in Selma, VA on the 18th. Maybe they were going to purchase a secret Christmas present for someone. I sure hope it gets warmer here too Grand-daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment