About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Wednesday, December 9, 2009

On Saturday, December 9, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Windy. Arose at 7:30. Mary made fire. Wrote letters for Turner. Went to N.E. Bank & got cheque cashed for Mr. Raitt. Got 5 cents worth of candy at Joe Milan's. Norman is 22 months old today. I cut wood after dinner. Went to see "The Valiants of Virginia" at "American" Theater. Got hair cut. Mr. Raines gave me an N.W. lock for stable. Aunt Annah came down at 7 o'clock. Got letter from Lena from Blue Ridge. May not spend much time on commentary tonight. Wednesdays are really long days. Bonnie does mention the American Theater in Roanoke which was a very grand theater at the time. Unfortunately it is no longer standing. I have posted a picture of the theater though on this page. I will continue to hunt for others that may be better. Incidentally, Nelson Harris, former mayor of Roanoke and pastor at Virginia Heights Baptist Church published a kind of picture history book of downtown Roanoke that uses old postcards to show some of what historic Roanoke looked like. I have a copy and if you are interested in this kind of thing, it would be a good buy. "The Valiants of Virginia" was a movie that came out in June 1916. I found some about it on the Turner Classic Movies website, but nothing that really struck a chord for me. It was windy in in Roanoke on this date 2009 too. I also got a hair cut the other night. And, I am not sure about this reference that Bonnie makes to an N.W. lock and a stable. I get the N & W lock, but where is the stable? Bonnie lived at 828 Jamison Ave. S.E. at the time of this writing and even in 1916 I am pretty sure it was more of a city housing area, with no room for a stable. Where did the Raines live and did they have a stable? Uncle Roger, I may need some help again. Joe Milan's is mentioned again which was a tobacco, newsstand, candy kind of store in Roanoke. I bet Bonnie got a whole handful of candy for 5 cents...today, not so much. I guess since Bonnie cut wood after dinner he treated himself to a movie. My boss, Mr. Huffman, as Bonnie would have addressed him also started a blog today. There is a link to his blog on my page. Glad I could be so inspiring! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment