About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bill Collectors

On Tuesday, December 5, 1916, Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm all day. Arose at 7:20. Mary made a fire. Got to work at 8:30. Wrote up Expense accounts, Board Bills, and I&Co. bill. Went to station to pay for birth of Mrs. Gilliman. Mr. Raitt stopped chewing tobacco. Mary had some trouble with Dr. Payne's collector. I went to Dr. Payne's office about it. Aunt Annah spent night at Mrs. R and will stay while she's away. Sure hasn't been warm here in 2009. Cold and Snowy today which makes it very pretty. Sure would like to know who Mrs. Gilliman is and why Bonnie was paying for her birth and at what station? My curiosity is also aroused at the trouble Nanny (Mary) may have had with Dr. Payne's collector. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when Bonnie went to Dr. Payne's office about the matter. I suppose it's a good thing that Mr. Raitt, who I am deducing is a work associate, stopped chewing tobacco. As promised, photos will be coming soon to the blog and I will continue to try and find some more information on the people who are regular mentions in Bonnie's diary. We have already heard about Blaine and Jake on several occasions and with a little help from Uncle Roger, who is Bonnie's son, I have found out that Blaine and Jake are Bonnie's brothers. As they are mentioned again in the diary, I will try and share more of these 2. Uncle Roger does point out a couple of good points. One, he was not born until 1927, so what we are reading about on this blog currently is still 11 years before his time. Also, the family did not own a motor car and so visiting relatives who lived more than walking distance away was difficult and so Roger says he would not have known many of these relatives if they "had passed him on the street". Caleb's basketball team lost 2 games today, but played well. Sermon is done, "Angels and Shepherds" from Luke 2: 8-14. The message of the angels was personal, was praise, and was about peace. "Pray for peace people everywhere..."

No comments:

Post a Comment