About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, December 18, 2009

#14 to Buchanan

On Monday December 18, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Snow. Mary made fire. Arose 8 o'clock. Annah Lee vomited freely. I played ball with Norman. Borrowed Harry R's traveling bag. Went over home and ate lunch. Jake and I left Roanoke on #14 at 12:10. Engaged room at Buchanan. Walked around to C&O sta. Friendly hotel clerk at "Central". We ate lunch Mary fixed. Phil Oyler & boy took us to Selma in automobile. Got there 9 p.m. Lots to talk about today. Let's start at the top. Cold and Snow in Roanoke in 1916 and cold and snow in Roanoke in 2009. In fact, the storm in 2009 could be of historic proportions with a possible 20 some inches. As I write, it has been snowing since about 2:15 p.m. and we have a good 5 inches already. Not sure how I feel about reading that my Granny was vomiting freely. Yesterday we read that Norman was pretty sick, must have given it to his sister. Norman is apparently feeling better as he played ball with his father. Maybe it will go away quickly. Bonnie must not have been too concerned as he played ball with Norman, packed for a trip, went to his parent's house, and left. So Bonnie and his brother Jake left on a train out of Roanoke just after noon and went to Buchanan, which is ironic. Buchanan is a small town in Botetourt County and is where I currently pastor a small church. It looks like they got a room to kill some time at the Central Hotel and also ate lunch that was packed by Mary who is at home with sick kids. I am not familiar with a Central hotel in Buchanan but I may ask around to some church members and see what comes up. I have no idea who Phil Oyler is, but I did discover that Selma is near the present day Clifton Forge which would have been correct in going the direction of Buchanan. It took awhile to get there, but in early auto, and on the roads between Buchanan and Clifton Forge, not too surprising. I am still not sure of the purpose behind the trip. My best guess would be to visit family and/or friends. We'll see how much snow we get overnight. Being really snowed in tomorrow may mean more than one blog post tomorrow, if the power stays on!

No comments:

Post a Comment