About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, December 24, 2009

Where's Jake?

On Christmas Eve 1916, Bonnie wrote: Cold-Sleet. Arose at 9 a.m. Shaved. Mr and Mrs. Raines and Harry ate dinner with us. Ethel Wade came over. I went to office. Also to station to meet Jake but he failed to come. Ate supper over home. Papa and I went to First Baptist Church. Fine sermon. Small crowd. Eunice Epperly gave papa a humidor of smoking tobacco. I continue to be amazed at how similar the weather was in 1916 to 2009. They are calling for sleet and freezing rain here over night and into the morning. I wonder what happened to brother Jake that he didn't show up at the train station? Bonnie may have to use that annual pass to go and look for him. Did Jake come back from Selma with Bonnie? I thought he did. In looking back, on the 21st it says that Jake came to the station with Bonnie but it does not say he went home with him. Maybe Jake is still in Selma. I liked seeing that Bonnie and his Dad went to church. There hasn't been much mention of church so far. They went to First Baptist on Christmas Eve and apparently were impressed with the sermon but not the crowd. I wonder who the pastor was in 1916? I know that Bonnie loved his cigars and apparently his Dad did too and the gift from Eunice Epperly was greatly appreciated I am sure. Back to the 22nd and 23rd. I wonder what was the heart trouble that Grand-daddy was having? I believe he was only in his 20's when this was written and he lived to be in his 90's so it must not have been too bad, but we will shall see what Dr. Burks comes up with. Bonnie also apparently wrote a letter to Effie thanking her for her hospitality while he was in Selma. How cool to read that Norma got a rocking a horse and Granny got a high chair. Bonnie got up earlier and stayed up later on the 22nd and 23rd then slept in on Christmas Eve. The gift giving and receiving continued on the 23rd with Bonnie getting a swell pair of gloves from one of his bosses. I got some swell gifts too at work. Some tools and a gift certificate to Buffalo Wild Wings. Bonnie returned the favor with a tie and bought Norman a book too and some candy for someone named Teeny as well as gingham goods. I just think all of this is very fascinating and really put me in the Christmas spirit when I read it last night. I was a little taken aback to read about the specimen being delivered to McGee's which I am guessing is a drug store that may have also served as a lab. I did tell you though that Dr. Burks was going to get to the bottom of this heart thing didn't I? Sounds like a great Christmas. Preparations are in high gear here and the excitement level is running high! Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment