This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011


On Monday, June 6, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Pleasant. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:45. The children attended Vacation Bible School. I talked to Judge Austin. Also Harry Yates. Harry came down home and ate supper with us. He gave Baby Jane a $3.50 wrist watch as present for being exempt. We talked until 9:00. Went to bed about 10:00.

On Tuesday, June 7, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy-Damp. Board meeting. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 8:00. The children went to Vacation Bible School at Belmont Baptist Church, 8:30. Mary had a hard spell. She phoned to me at noon. Baby Jane's watch stopped running. I got home 5:35. Shaved. Went to board meeting, 8:00. Came home at 9:20. Norman came down on same car.

On Wednesday, June 8, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Cool.  Wrote to Blaine. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Mary and the children are expecting to spend the day at Ethel Wade's. Took Baby Jane's watch to be fixed. Got a new one. Walked with Edna Young. Talked to Harry. Mary called me on phone from Ethel's at 1:00 p.m. They brought June home with them. Jake and Jane came after her at 8:00.

I love seeing these churches mentioned that are still around today and that I know something about.  Belmont Baptist jumped right in there and didn't waste any time after school was out to start VBS.  I wonder how different VBS is today from 1927?  I also enjoyed reading about Baby Jane's watch and having to get a new one.  Just a little advanced warning: Here in 2011 we will be going on a cruise on Saturday to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and Mom is going along as well as the kids.  So, if I don't work ahead this weekend, which I probably won't.  There won't be any new posts for a week or so, but I will try and get caught up again after I get back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment