About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, June 20, 2011

Mama has Relapse

On Wednesday, June 15, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Chilly-Cloudy. Pay Day. Arose at 6:20. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Feel awfully bad. Left home 7:55. The children went to Bible School at 8:30. Got my check cashed at 1:40. Paid next to last payment on cemetery lot and 51st note on house. Had lots of mail. Wrote H.W. Harris. Came home at 5:30 p.m. Children went to prayer meeting, 7:30.

On Thursday, June 16, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy-Chilly. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:45. The children attended Bible School. Called Mary at noon. Received C&O pass to Clifton Forge. (Have a severe headache.) Got home at 5:20. Paid Musser $28.00 on grocery bill. Annah Lee and Baby Jane went with me. We went to bed about 9:30.

On Friday, June 17, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy-Chilly. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Mrs. Drewery came over. I left home at 7:50; prepared to go see Mama this p.m. Got haircut at noon. Phoned to Mary at 2 p.m. also at 5:20. Phoned to Jane. Ate supper at restaurant, 6:15. Met Jake and Jane at station. Left at 6:40 in car. Got to Clifton at 9:30. Went to bed at 12:30.

On Saturday, June 18, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Chilly-Cloudy. At Selma, Va. Arose at 8:30. Ate breakfast at 9:00. Jane scrubbed floor. Mag cleaned house. Jake, Mag, and I carried Mama downstairs. I shaved. John, Sybil, Zelly, Jake and Christine went to a show. Returned at 11:00. I talked to Mama alone. She looks awfully pale and bad. We went to bed at 12:30. Tired out and head aches.

On Sunday, June 19, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Mama is sick. Arose at 8:30. Jake, John, Sybil and I drove over to see Lady.  Mama is weaker today. We left Selma at 12:30 noon. Got soft drinks at Cloverdale. Arrived Roanoke 3:30 p.m. Came home on car. Harry was there for dinner and supper. Jake and Jane ate dinner at Mag's. Mary called Loam. I sent Blaine a message 10 p.m.

On Monday, June 20, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny.  At home a.m.  Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes.  Shaved. The children attended Bible School. I didn't go to work. Got wire from Blaine. Sent him another. Children wrote Mama. Loam, Jess and Aunt Duck drove to see Mama. Mary phoned office. Dr. Tatum phoned that Mama suffered a relapse and may die suddenly. Jess came back in afternoon. Said Mama was brighter. We retired at 10:00.

Got all caught up on Bonnie's diary.  Interesting reading about his trip to Clifton Forge and his mother's illness.  I also enjoyed reading that they stopped in Cloverdale and got soft drinks.  In 2011 we live near Cloverdale now and I know right where that train stop would have been.  I think I am too tuckered out tonight to write too much more about our cruise. Maybe later.  It was very nice and we had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment