About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, June 26, 2011

All In

On Friday, June 24, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny.  Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:45. Woman took me to town in car. Awfully busy. Walked at noon. Wrote to Blaine's wife; also Lena. Jake took Blaine to Selma in his car; 3:00 p.m. I came home on street car at 5:30. Don't feel good. Shaved after supper. Sat on front porch awhile. 

On Saturday, June 25, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sultry. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Worked hard until 1:10 p.m. Got home on car at 1:40. Didn't do any work around the house. Took a bath about 6:00 p.m. Hot as the "dickens" this afternoon and at night. We went to bed about 11 o'clock. Mary feels worn out and weak. 

On Sunday, June 26, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Warm. Didn't go to church. Arose at 9:30. Mary got up at 7:00 and made a fire. The children went to Sunday School alone. I ate breakfast at 10:30. Jake's car broke down in Clifton Forge. Blaine and Loam came back. Mary lay down after dinner. We sat up until 11:00 p.m. waiting for Blaine. He talked to me until 12:15. I am all in tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment