About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, June 23, 2011

Blaine In from Memphis

On Tuesday, June 21, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy-Warm. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Mr. Turner is in Norfolk.  I don't feel good, nor does Mary. I wrote up all of my mail by noon. Went home at 1:50. Read and shaved before supper. Mary and I sat in the hall after supper and talked. We went to bed about 9:30. Weather is hot.

On Wednesday, June 22, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Sultry. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Got phone message from Western Union from Blaine at Memphis. He will arrive on No. 26. I walked at Noon. Went to station at 5:42 to meet Blaine. Missed him. He went to our home in a taxi cab. Jane and Jake and Mr. and Mrs. Mentzer came down at 7:30 and stayed until 9:50. We got to bed at 11:50 p.m.

On Thursday, June 23, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool-Cloudy. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Blaine was in bed when I left at 7:55. The children got up at 7:30 and went to Bible School at 8:30. Blaine took Annah Lee and Baby Jane to get haircut. They ate supper at Jake's. Went to Mag's. Got home at at 11:00 p.m. I got pass at station for Blaine got to bed 11:30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment