About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, January 4, 2010

What's in the commode?

On Tuesday, January 4, 1916 Bonnie wrote: (Before I start today, please be advised that for some reason, I am having a really hard time making out his handwriting for today's entry, so there are a few words that I am unsure of...) Cool-Brisk. Got to office at 8:30 ahead of Capt. and Mr. Raitt. Finished writing Electrification agreements. Mrs. Raines had a sick headache. Mr. Raines went to lodge at night. Wrote for calendars. I shaved at Mrs. Raines. We ate there. Got a haircut at 6 p.m. Mr. Brown spit? in commode. So, the very first thing we have to deal with is this commode reference. First, an alternate definition for commode is a piece of furniture that is like a cabinet with drawers or shelves and I just can't read the handwriting to figure out what was in the commode. It could be spit, it could be pies, it could be put, it could be all sorts of things, but Mr. Brown has something in the commode and yes, I know there could be all sorts of jokes to be added here, but we just aren't going there. You can insert your own. This entry did confirm for me that Capt. Rowan and Mr. Raitt are co-workers and possibly bosses of Bonnie. The other word I had trouble deciphering was what I think is Electrification or Electification. I don't know what kind of agreements those would be, but the electrification seems to me to make more sense for a railroad. Sorry to hear Bonnie's mother-in-law is not feeling well. I wonder what kind of lodge Mr. Raines belonged to? That might be something to look for later. Still cold in 2010 and no sign of any warm up any time soon. Got more done at work today and getting ready to take down Christmas decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment