About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, January 17, 2010

Birthday

On Monday, January 17, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-intensely. Annah Lee is a week old today at 12 noon. Went to Adam's Express office for blueprints twice. Talked to Howard Fisher in hall in morning. Mr. Schick in. Talked to Bob Anderson and Miss O'Hearn on street in a.m. Sent Lena's letter and went to American Theater at night with Howard Fisher. Got $13 from Bank. Well, Bonnie acknowledged my grandmother's one week birthday and today is my 40th birthday. Most of Bonnie's post today is about work. When he talked to Howard Fisher in the hall at work this morning they must have set up to go to the theater that night. Wonder what they saw? Great Day at church today in 2010. Lots of joking about my 40th. Beth surprised me with a video of top ten signs that you are 40 that they showed during church. Lots of decisions made at church this morning too. The Sunday School class gave me all sorts of gag gifts for my 40th. My family gave me a journal today that I will use to write down thoughts about my daily Bible reading. I continued reading in Genesis today chapters 35 and 36. Genesis is really the story of families and that is what this blog is about too. Today's reading had a good deal of family trees in it. Those were really important in Bible times and as I get older I begin to see the importance of those things as well and I am so grateful for my family tree and the Christian heritage that is there. Interesting in Genesis that even though there were all kinds of family problems, God continued to bless the family of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is a God who keeps his promises. I also note that they were always setting up markers or altars when God had spoken to them or done something in their lives. We have so gotten away from that in the 21st century. I am not even sure we know when God has done something. That is one reason for this journal, to mark when God speaks and what He does. Also, read from Matthew 12:1-21; Proverbs 3:21-26; and Psalm 15 which asks God the question "Who can dwell in your tent? Close to you? Intimate with you? The one who lives honestly, the one who is righteous. God answers the question. The Bible is not hard to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment