About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, January 29, 2010

Peanuts

I got some catchin' up to do. I have had a busy couple of evenings. On Thursday, January 27, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Warm-Rain. Wrote Mr. Spangler a letter. Mr. Schick returned to office. Loam, Mamma, and Teeney down home today for dinner. Mamma got a letter from Papa and Lena about moving to Bedford. Talked to Bo/Cy. Met Carter Thompson and went to see "The Raven". Jake came home. On Friday January 28, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Sultry-Warm. Wrote deed for E. P. Gregory - 50 cents. Mrs. Raines and Aunt Annah Smith went to church of the Brethren to hear lecture of Dr. McQuaig. Sent letters to H.D. & H. and Hatfields. Mary and Gertie Seyour, Maude & Jack Bowdel and Mrs. Raines came up home at night and stayed until 9 o'clock. On Saturday, January 29, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Rain & Cooler. Beat them all to office. Went to Bank for Mr. Schick at 9 o'clock. Mr. Schick went down. Shaved and took a bath after dinner. Went up home at 5 o'clock p.m. Met Jake. Came home at 10 p.m. Brought bag of peanuts. Retired at 11:30. Bath & Shave. I thought about skipping a few days of Bonnie's diary to get caught up, but there were some things for each day on which I wanted to comment. Let's start with 27th. Again, remember that most of the time I have more questions than answers as I am trying to piece things together. So, if any family member reading this has any help for me please feel free to share. The big event on the 27th was that Loam, who I think is some sort of relative because they are always mentioned with the others, Mamma, and Tenney, who is Bonnie's sister Christine, came for dinner and to apparently share a letter from Papa and Lena. I have no idea who Lena is, but she has been mentioned several times and where is Papa? Wherever he is, he is planning on moving to Bedford. I am still wondering if maybe Mamma and Papa aren't together any more? Notice in the pictures on this blog that they aren't together, but then again neither are the Raines. I wish I could figure some of this out. I also have no idea who or what is Bo/cy. "The Raven" was released in November of 1915 and was a biography of Edgar Allen Poe and was described as being peculiar by one reviewer. Jake is Bonnie's brother, unsure where he had been. On the 28th, I learn that Bonnie must have done some writing of some deeds for other people and charged them a little bit to do it. Interesting that the ladies went to a lecture at the Brethren church. I don't know who Dr. McQuaig was. I searched a little but could not come up with anything. A large group of friends got together at the Elmore's for some Friday night fellowship. On the 29th, I am really confused by how Grandaddy put some things together. I am unsure where Mr. Schick went down to, or if Mr. Schick went down to shave a take a bath after dinner, but then why would Bonnie record that? Bonnie does not say what he and Jake did when they met and came home at 10 p.m. but they did bring home a bag of peanuts. Maybe that's where I get it. I love peanuts in most any way, except for boiled peanuts, and I could possibly learn to love those too. Bring me home a bag of peanuts and I don't care where you have been! I wonder if the circus was in town? The Shriner's circus is going on now in 2010 in Roanoke and has long been a tradition, but I don't know if it has been that long. Calling for snow here tonight, possibly 8-10 inches. I hope we get it and if we do, I will have plenty of time to write more about faith matters tomorrow and Sunday. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment