About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, January 1, 2010

What a way to start a New Year

Just a reminder that as we start the new year of this blog, we are starting back at January 1916. So, if you have been following along toward the end of the year, story lines will not continue as I do not have the diary for 1917. I hope that as we near the end of this year I will have another one for another year or I will be able to write some things about the Clingenpeel or Meyerhoeffer sides of my family, especially the Hessian history. On January 1, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Rainy. Last night, I with Ganderson & Mr. Woolridge sat up at Mrs. Steffey's wake. Ate crackers & smoked & read all night. Came home at 9 o'clock. Took a bath and shaved in afternoon. Aunt Annah, Mrs. R and I went out to Steffey's. Sent out a doz. carnations. So, it appears that 1916 did not start off so great for the Elmores. As best I can tell, a close family friend passed away and Bonnie, Mary and the rest of the family participated heavily in the grieving process. As I have often pointed out, there seem to be such similarities in what happens even though this is 90 some years later. As I write this, the Elmore family in 2010 is grieving the loss of a son-in-law, husband, and father in Ed Natt. Ed was the son-in-law of Roger, who is Bonnie's youngest son. Ed was married to Claire, who is Roger and Leah's daughter. Ed was a great guy, a good friend, and had a very witty personality. The local newspaper ran a story about Ed's death today as he was a prominent lawyer in town. He will be greatly missed. Our sympathies go out to Roger and Leah and Claire as well as our prayers. Roger is I believe a reader of this blog and has helped with some of the contributions as well. Once again, cancer has struck this family. I know 2009 had been a rough year for many people with war and bad economic conditions among other things. Hopefully, 2010 will be much better and also, hopefully we will find some gems in the diary of Bonnie in the early part of 1916. I am already looking forward to the entry of January 10, as that is when my grandmother, Annah Lee was born to Bonnie and Mary. I have some pictures at home of Annah Lee that need to be posted on here too. I will try and do that soon. We are currently in Greenville, SC visiting Beth's family. It has been a good trip and we will come home tomorrow to be ready for Sunday back at Springwood Baptist Church. May you all have a very Happy New Year in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment