About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sunday afternoon

On Sunday, January 16, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Arose at 9 a.m. Went to church at 11 o'clock a.m. Had oysters for breakfast. Stayed at home in afternoon and read Ladies Home Journal. Norman was home all p.m. Mrs. Maganys sent dinner to Mary by Alice. Read Phila. Press at Mrs. Raines at night. Retired at 11 o'clock. chilly. I have been a little lax on writing about what Bonnie wrote so, I will try and make up for that now. Going all the way back to the 13th we see Bonnie mention Mexican General Huarta, who died in El Paso Texas on that date in 1916. This guy was a real character and must have been very well known to people then too, especially avid news readers like Bonnie. Huarta was known as The Jackal and his liver problems must have come from his loyalty to Mexican alcohol. Over the past couple of days we have seen Bonnie reading a lot of magazines and a lot of them seem to be today what we could call women's magazines. I think back then that they may have been a little more mainstream and plus Bonnie just likes to read and apparently needs to be occupied and so these work as well as anything. I also thought it was neat to see that Bonnie had his razor honed, not something I think anybody does now a days. Though with the cost of disposable razors maybe it would not be a bad idea to have just one razor that we sharpen. There is even a device advertised on TV now that will do this on disposable razors or disposable razor blades. Also, on the 14th Bonnie mentions going to bed with a hot iron because it was so cold. What a Hoot! His iron of course was not electric but warmed by the fire I am sure. Please do not take an electric iron to bed with you! Thus a fire safety message. Seriously though with all of the cold weather that we too have had recently home heating is a real problem and care should be taken with space heaters, wood stoves, etc. This is one of the leading causes of house fires. We also see Bonnie on the 15th cutting wood and carrying coal, again home heating. I am unsure what the fuss was about with Elmer Brown, possibly a feud between neighbors? I was tickled to see that Bonnie went to church on Sunday the 16th and it sounds like the afternoon was taken up with more reading and eating, a good Sunday afternoon. Beth and I have seen several movies in theaters recently, which we love to do but is a little unusual for us. We saw "The Blindside" with the kids and it was awesome. Really good movie that I would highly recommend. Then Beth and I saw "It's complicated", it was more adult in nature and not for kids, but still it was hilarious. Last night we saw, "Up in the Air" with George Clooney. A good movie, but didn't like the ending. I also have some reading to do, a book for a group that I am part of. The book is "Perspectives on Congregational Leadership" by Israel Galindo. It is a book about Bowen Family systems theory, a theory I learned about in some Leadership classes and that I am now a believer in. It also plays into my interest in genealogy. Caleb has a basketball game tonight. Church tomorrow. The sermon is: Things that hurt our Ministry from Luke 11:37-54. Mom is going with us to church at Springwood. I may write some more later on more of a faith note. My Bible reading yesterday was very impactful. I still need to figure out a way to journal better.

No comments:

Post a Comment