About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, February 13, 2010

Roger Fills in Blanks!

On Saturday, February 12, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Cloudy. Mr. Schick returned to office. Capt. Boxley (R.F.) came in office.) Mrs. Raines left at 9:00 for Winston-Salem, N.C. to visit Ms. Hamilton. Old man is "raw" today. Jake and Jess came to our house this afternoon. I went to the American at night to see "The Great Jewel". Sawed wood with N&W saw borrowed from Mr. Raines. On Sunday, February 13, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Snow & Rain. Arose at 9:30. Oyster for our breakfast. Christine's dog died. I took bath and shaved. Stayed indoors until 3:30 p.m. Ate supper at Mrs. Raines, she came back. Bruce came over and ate supper. Went to Johnson's & Johnson's and Joe Milan's. Annah Lee sick. Mary and I retired at 11:30 p.m. I read "The Fall of a Nation". So sorry that Christine's dog died. Christine is Bonnie's sister, also called Teeney. I will have to look up some information on the movie "The Great Jewel" and the book "The Fall of a Nation" for a future post possibly. I just got an email from my great-uncle Roger, who is Bonnie's youngest son, and Roger was able to fill in some blanks for me that we have been wondering about. So, I will share some of those now. From now on when we see the name Loam, we will need to remember that this is Bonnie's sister whose real name is Salome. Roger says, Annah Lee (Granny) looked just like Loam. Loam was independent and lived alone on west Salem Ave. in Roanoke after her husband's death. Bonnie and Mary rented a cottage on the NW corner of Jamison Ave. and 9th St. SE. I am guessing this where they are, while this diary is being written. Though, the Elmores do appear ready to make a move. Lester Steffey was a childhood/teenage friend of Bonnie's. They grew up together in NE Roanoke. Steffey ran a newsstand in downtown Roanoke and later moved into the clothing business. So now we know that Steffey's is a newsstand. I should have figured that. Roger says that at some point the Steffey's move to Jackson, TN to follow an opportunity to sell custom made clothing for men. "Skin" is Bonnie's younger brother and his real name is Rufus. He died while in his early 20's due to pneumonia. Wow! So, skin is a relative and brother in fact. Uncle Roger adds that indeed it was customary for mothers to spend 2 weeks in bed after child delivery. Roger, you have been a huge help and we continue to look forward to more input! I feel such a sense that we accomplished something today that this ends today's post!

No comments:

Post a Comment