About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, February 15, 2010

House for Rent?

On Tuesday, February 15, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Sunny. Correspondence low in office. Read papers in morning. Mr. Bruner came in. Carter Thompson came to office. I bought Jake pair of overalls. Aunt Annah spent afternoon at home of Mrs. Hughes. Mrs. Raines came up. We ate lunch with her. Mr. Raines gave us a large Bible. I sawed wood and shaved. Genevieve & Joe Sullivan's wife came to look at rooms. Bonnie's entry for today includes lots of people I don't know. I do know that Jake was a brother and that Aunt Annah was of course an Aunt and I think who my grand-mother was named after. I did receive another email from Roger to tell me that when we read of Lena, that is a sister of Bonnie's also. She lived in D.C. and was a fun loving lady who was a fan of the Washington Redskins. She attended their games as long as she was able. Now see that right there says something for genetics. I too am a big fan of the Redskins even though that has been difficult lately. I like that Bonnie and Mary got a large Bible. Every young, growing family should have at least one. I don't know why those ladies came to look at rooms. My best guess would be that Bonnie and Mary's house is now up for rent since they plan to move and that these were maybe some people interested in renting their place. But, Bonnie hasn't said anything in the diary for a while now about the move. That's about it for tonight. Rachel has play practice tonight and so the taxi driver must eat, change and get ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment