About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Friday, February 5, 2010

Pennington's Choice

Got some catchin' up to do. On Thursday, February 3, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Snow-Cold. Partial Eclipse of the Sun. Got to work at 8:50 a.m. Looked at sun thru eyeglass. Mary and I looked at house on Jamison Ave. in afternoon. I went to see Pace Bros. in eve. Mr. & Mrs. Raines came up at night and brought apples. Very cold. Carter Thompson came by the office at 5 p.m. On Friday, February 4, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Cold-Clear. Work at 8:45 ahead of all. Mary and I went to inspect a house on 6th Ave. Got to work at 3:30 p.m. Mike Sexton in the office. Carter Thompson and I went to American Theater at night. Talked to Jake. Came home at 11:00 p.m. on car. Phoned Ms. Fielding. On Saturday, February 5, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Cold-Frost. Mr. Schick got to office first. Correspondence very light. Rolled Norman out for first time in push-cart. Shaved in p.m. Mary and I went up to the "American" at night to see "Pennington's Choice" my second time. came home at 10:30 p.m. Wow, ok I missed some things the past couple of days. Snow in Roanoke February 1916 and lots of snow in Roanoke in 2010. At home from work today because of expected foot plus snowfall in Roanoke. Pretty cool about the eclipse too. I will be very interested to keep up with the progress of the Elmore's house search. I don't know who the Pace Bros. are. There is a Pace Bros. in Roanoke and they are an excavating company I think. Apparently Grand-daddy is having a race to see who can get in the office first each day. I am usually about the second one in for the Fire Marshal's office, Maybe fourth or fifth for all of Fire Administration. The house on 6th Ave. maybe sounds familiar. Any of my relative readers out there can comment about the house I would be thinking of. I think it was the last house they lived in before going to the nursing home. Grand-daddy still loves to go see movies. A reminder for new readers that Jake is Bonnie's brother. I don't know who Ms. Fielding is. Real Estate agent? Bonnie mentioned the new push cart for Norman the other day. I think today we would call it a stroller. I am tickled to see that Bonnie actually went to see a movie with his wife Mary!! She usually has to stay at home with the kids. Sounds like he even sucked it up and went to see a movie he had already seen because that is what she wanted to see. "Pennington's Choice" was released in November 1915 and starred Francis Bushman and Beverly Bayne who we talked about in an earlier blog post. There is a good synopsis of the plot of that movie at this website: http://www.allmovie.com/work/penningtons-choice-105851 Lots of good Bible reading here recently from Exodus and Matthew. I heard a prayer request today on Daily Audio Bible about Christians being persecuted in Egypt. These Christians were shot and killed as they came out of church. Please pray for God's protection for these brothers and sisters in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment