About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, February 1, 2010

Piano Pay-er

On Monday, January 31, 1916 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Capt. Rowan returned to the office. Annah Lee is 3 weeks old today. Mrs. Brown notified us of increase in electric light bill. I cut Norman's hair at noon. Got our paychecks. Went to "American" at night to see "The Rack" came home on car and shaved from 10 p.m. - 11 p.m. On Tuesday, February 1, 1916 Bonnie wrote: Rain-cooler. Paid bills. Went to bank for Capt. Rowan. Made final payment on piano. Interest remaining is $40.60. Harry Raines bought Norman a push cart $4.50. Carter Thompson went out to Steffey's to see Marie Randelesman. Mrs. Raines came up at night. Bonnie got informed that his electric bill was going up. I would be interested in knowing how much it was as electric rates have also been rising here in 2010. It has been quite the topic in the news and among conversation between people. I have heard of some electric bills well in excess of $300. I bet Bonnie's was no where near that much. I also looked up the movie "The Rack". It was released on December 27, 1915 and was apparently about marriage and starred a bunch of people I have never heard of. There was no plot summary given. Do you really think that Bonnie shaved for a full hour? I know when he was alive that he was known for being very slow and very meticulous, but really shaving for an hour? Maybe so. It also appears that the Elmores bought a piano at some point and finished paying off the principle today. Ok, I may be on to something here. Granny (Annah Lee) was a great piano player. She played like nobody I have heard before and now I read that her parents bought a piano when she was 3 weeks old. There was music in the house. I wonder if Nanny (Mary, Bonnie's wife) played? I am still curious about Steffey's. A boarding house, a store, a restaurant,? I don't know. Yesterday's Bible reading was from Exodus and was about the Passover. There were several times when it said that the Israelites were to observe this so as to be able to pass it on to their children and tell their children what God had done. Made me wonder, what do we do in 2010 to pass on our faith to our children? Do we tell them stories of what God has done in our lives? This is a blog about Family and Faith and the work that we do. If we can't pass our faith on to our children and their children, and their children, then who can we pass our faith on to? Made me think that I could do better in this area. Also, today in Exodus as the Israelites leave Egypt they see the Egyptians coming after them and they start to grumble (again, but won't be the last time either) and The Message translation says that Moses says to them: "God will fight the battle for you. And you? Keep your mouths shut." Wow. You tell 'em Moses. Maybe we need some people to tell us some things like that every now and then. I know I do.

2 comments:

  1. As I read Granddaddy's comment about shaving for an hour I had to laugh as I am sure that was the case. I was there once when you were very young and we were waiting for him to shave so we could eat. Seemed like it took a long time or else I was hungry. I hope your parents showed faith by example and how it affected our everyday lives and still does. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed my parents did show faith by example and I am so grateful for that!

    ReplyDelete