This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Loyalty Church

On Friday, November 25, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Mild. Arose at 7:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:55. Busy all day. Walked at noon. Came home on car at 6:00 p.m. Norman went to Scout meeting. I read until 11 o'clock. My eyes and head hurt. Got to bed about 11:30, tired and "all in".

On Saturday, November 26, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Mild. Worked until 3 p.m. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:55. Very busy all a.m. Took letters of WPW. Wrote until 3 p.m. Annah Lee and Baby Jane came to office. We looked at shoes. Ate 4:00. Norman, Mary, and I put glass in side window. Worked on it from 4 to 9:30 p.m. To bed 11:00.

On Sunday, November 27, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Mild. "Loyalty"-Church. Arose at 8:45. Baby Jane got up at 7:30 and made fire and dumped ashes. I shaved. Didn't go to church. The children went. Annah Lee's burnt finger pained so much she came home. Mary phoned Dr. Ruck. I took her to his office and he put gauze on her finger. We then went to church and came home 5:00 p.m.

I am very thankful that I did not have to go back to work on Friday after Thanksgiving like Bonnie did and then have to work on Saturday too!  Then Bonnie came home and apparently struggled with putting the glass in the window...it took 5 and 1/2 hours! I guess I can see why he didn't go to church, but I am very confused by Sunday's entry.  Bonnie has this header of "Loyalty" church at the top of the entry. I have no idea what that means.  Maybe it was some emphasis they were having at church.  I hope it wasn't an attendance emphasis.  We also have not been told how Annah Lee burned her finger, but it must have been pretty bad.  Then, they apparently went back to church that afternoon??  Again, maybe there was some sort of special program.  We had another good day at church.  Really good crowds recently.  We also got our Christmas tree put up and decorated this afternoon and got the stocking hung.  We decided not to put decorations outside today due to the wind and heavy rain that is in the forecast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment