About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, November 5, 2011

Wine before Supper

On Thursday, November 3, 1927, Bonnie Elmore wrote: Quite Cold-Rain. At Loam's. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Busy all day. Rain and gloomy. Mary and Baby Jane went to Loam's at 4 :00 p.m. Annah Lee took music. I walked up at 5:30. We all had some wine before supper. Played Victrola and Annah Lee and I danced. Got home around 10:45. Long time getting warm.

On Friday, November 4, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cold-Windy. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:55. Missed car. Walked to Jackson, Jr. School. Got on car. Busy all day. Stayed in the office at noon. Walked home at night. Norman attended Scout Meeting. I boxed up two quilts to send to Grace Gee to line. Went to bed about 10:00. Cold.

On Saturday, November 5, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold-Sunny. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Annah Lee and Baby Jane went to Mrs. Woods and got their coats at 4 p.m. I cut wood from 4:00 to 5:30. Put Plant Pep around peach trees. Shaved after supper. Didn't take bath tonight: water too chilly. In bed at 11:00.

On Sunday, November 6, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold-Sunny. Went to office. Arose at 8:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Went up on car with children. They went to Sunday School and church; then came to the office for me. We got candy. Wrote five letters for Mr. Wiltsee. Read in afternoon. Took a bath 4:00 p.m. Annah Lee played in church in S.W. Baby Jane went with her. We got to bed about 10:00.

I still love reading about my grandmother Annah Lee and what her childhood was like in 1927.  How cool that Bonnie danced with Annah Lee.  If you have seen the 2011 movie "Courageous" then you know that this has special meaning.  Also, I think Granny was about 11 in 1927 and she is playing for a church in SW Roanoke! That's pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment