About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gala Day

On Wednesday, November 23, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool-Sunny. Arose at 6:50. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Quarterly conference with engineers being held today in the office. I bought two chickens from Mrs. Hannabass at 5:15 p.m. Rode home on street car. Large crowds here for gala day tomorrow. We got to bed about 10:30.

On Thursday, November 24, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Mild. Thanksgiving Holiday. Arose at 9:00. Norman made a fire and took out ashes. I shaved and took a bath. Cleaned lights. Loam and Austin came down home at 4:00 p.m. and stayed for supper. We had two chickens They left at 10:50. Baby Jane, Annah Lee and I walked to car with them. Got to bed about 11:25. Mary has shortness of breath.

Besides Thanksgiving, I wonder what made it a gala day in Roanoke?  I certainly know there were large crowds between Roanoke and Greenville, SC on Interstate 85.  Our trip to see Beth's family took 8 hours when normally it takes about 5.  We have had a good day today. 16 of us here for traditional Thanksgiving meal of turkey and dressing and lots of sides.  Brother in law Paul wanted to be mentioned in my blog so there you go. I guess chickens were cheaper, or easier to find in 1927?  There is a group here planning on going shopping tonight at midnight.  That group does not include me!

No comments:

Post a Comment