About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, December 5, 2011

Detective strikes Preacher

On Monday, November 28, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm-Mild. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire and dumped ashes. Left home at 7:45. Had lot of work today. Mary is not feeling well. I came home at 5:45. (walked). Read after supper. Mary had rolls from Mrs. Crowley. Quite warm. Helped Mary move furniture. Talked to Loam.

On Tuesday, November 29, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Fair-Cloudy. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Worked hard all day. Stayed in at noon. Walked home in evening. Got rolls at Mrs. Crowley's Norman attended scout meeting. I read until 10 o'clock. Got to bed about 11:00. Tired and sleepy.

On Wednesday, November 30, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm-"Summery". Arose at 6:20. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:55. Busy all day. Got my check cashed and paid bills. Mary feels very bad. I didn't attend supper at church. Richard Gee and Mr. Parsons came down home after supper. Brought bed pan. Baby Jane went to Wood's in car with Burch's pm. Warm tonight.

End of month note for November 1927:  Premier of Rumania (Britanis) died on 23rd. Mama is till very sick. Can't hear from Christine. We took supper with Loam on the 3rd. She had no fire in furnace, and it was awfully cold. We drank some wine. Got home about  10:50. Hurried to bed. Paid J.T. Bristow $23.10 to tear furnace down and make repairs. Norman has a severe case  of poison oak on his face, hands, arms, breast and behind his ears. Mr. Lucian H. Cocke, General Attorney for the N&W died on Monday night 14th instant. Mary is quite heavy and has difficulty in getting around. She has suffered a great deal.

On Thursday, December 1, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold-Sunny. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Sent order to Sears-Roebuck for baby blanket, etc. Sent Fleck a check for $5.00. Came home on car at 6 p.m. Read after supper. Put paper and wood in furnace. Real cold tonight. Mary took bath and shivered. She put up curtains. I shaved. Got to bed 11:00.

On Friday, December 2, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Rain-Cloudy-Chilly. Arose at 6:45. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:55. Mary had a hard vomiting spell. I paid insurance at 1:45 p.m. Not so busy. My eyes hurt today. Raw, rainy, cold, "sloppy" night. Norman went to scout inspection at Auditorium at night. I went to Jackson Junior play with Annah Lee and Baby Jane. Home at 9:30.

On Saturday, December 3, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Snow-Rainy. Arose at 6:20. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Mr. Noel came in at 8:35. He felt bad; didn't dictate one letter. He went home at 12 noon. I got home at 1:45. Cut wood from 3:45 to 5 p.m. Wet and cloudy. Baby Jane carried wood into the basement. I took a bath at 5:15 p.m. Shaved 7:45.

On Sunday, December 4, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sleet-Cold. (Snow). Arose at 8:30. Mary got up at 7:30 and made a fire. Baby Jane and Norman went to Sunday School. Annah Lee and I went to church. Good sermon. Fairly good attendance. Mr. Scott told about detective striking one of our preachers. Harry ate supper with us. I read in afternoon. The children rode sleds all afternoon. We got to bed 10:00.

On Monday, December 5, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Fair-Warmer. Arose at 6:25. Made a fire in stove and furnace. Shaved. I went to work on 8:15 car. Baby Jane also rode with me. She paid carder $3.69. I deposited $37.95 for Mary's P.T. Assn. Left the office at 5:40 p.m. Home on car. Read after supper. We went to bed about 10:30 p.m.

I know this has been a long single post because I had gotten behind last week as I did a bit of short traveling, but there is lots of good stuff to write about. Also, I have some extra time to write today as I am off from work to go and have my annual Chest/heart tests.  I brought Beth to work this morning and we traveled through SE Roanoke which also kind of inspired me to write some more today as I went right through the areas that Bonnie writes about and it my thoughts go back to what life must have been like in 1927 and what Roanoke looked like.  I thought that Bonnie's Nov. 28 entry was funny when he talked about Mary not feeling well and yet he helped her move furniture.  Mary is obviously great with child as they are ordering baby blankets and Bonnie speaks of her being heavy and having trouble getting around.  I am not sure though that he ever mentioned that she was expecting back earlier in the year.  Maybe that wasn't something to talk about?  Or maybe it got lost among making fires and dumping ashes? Mary is also "nesting" as we call it today, moving furniture, hanging curtains etc.  She is getting ready for that baby to come. It also struck me that life in 1927 was not all that different than 2011 with the pull and tug schedule of the children.  One has a scout meeting, two have a program at school, Mary doesn't feel well, etc.  Sounds a little like us with soccer games, church, work, and school. The weather was also interesting.  Bonnie had been writing about it being mild and summery and then all of a sudden it snowed, sleeted, and the children rode sleds.  It has been mild here in 2011 too so maybe there is still some hope for some winter weather soon. Bring it on!

Oh! I almost forgot.  What is up with detectives striking preachers?  I sure would like to know more about that story from December 4.  What did the preacher do?  Was it mistaken identity?  City detective or Railroad detective? That was a great Sunday post though.  I loved it. Snowy Sunday, good sermon, good attendance, great story, and family over for a meal! Ahhhhhh.........

No comments:

Post a Comment