About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, August 5, 2012

Canning Preserves

On Friday, July 30, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot Day. Chas. Becker electrocuted in New York. Mr. Raitt went fishing. I filed and indexed mail. Pearl and Christine spent the afternoon down home. Teeny got a (?) in her waiste. Went home with Pearl and Christine.

On Saturday, July 31, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Awfully Hot. Went uptown in afternoon and got haircut. Took a bath and shaved. Met Emmett St. Clair on way home. Stayed at home at night. Paid off. 

On Sunday, August 1, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot. Papa, Effie and Pearl went down to Everett's. Mary and I ate supper at Mrs. Raines'. Very hot at night. Stayed at home all day

On Monday, August 2, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot Rain. Paid up part of bills. Rain in p.m. Busy day. Nothing much doing today. Mary and I went up home at night.

On Tuesday, August 3, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot Rain. Went down street and got cigarettes for Mr. Schick. Paid Bills. Shaved before going to work. Mrs. Raines ate dinner with us. Fine rain. Went up street at night. Talked to Skin.

On Wednesday, August 4, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cooler. Mary, Norman and Mrs. Raines spent day with LaBree's. I ate lunch at office and went to "American". Had certificate of Norman's birth recorded. Went up home at night and took shirts for Papa. Great deal of sheet lightning. Effie went home. 

On Thursday, August 5, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very Hot. Mr. Schick went out on line. Mrs Raines and Bessie Edwards ate lunch with us. Mary and Mrs. Raines canning preserves. Mr. Raitt and Ed Gregory went on fishing trip to Craig Healing Springs. Mrs. Raines, Mary, Norman, and I went to Mountain Park at night. 


Whew. I had a hard time understanding everything that Bonnie was writing this time.  I could not make out what Teeny got in her waiste and I also did not understand the "Busy Day" and "Nothing much doing" comments in the same day. I also did not get the "Paid off" part. Oh, well I guess that is just going to happen.  I do watch with interest the weather from 1915.  Seems like it may have been just as hot in 1915 as it is in 2012.  Here in 2012, starting to storm some this afternoon. May be time for a safety nap!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment