About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, July 29, 2012

Brewery

On Friday, July 23, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool weather. Stopped the use of tobacco this day.  Filed my correspondence. Thunder and lightning at night. Didn't use any tobacco the whole day.

On Saturday, July 24, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool, clear. Pretty moon night. Met and talked to Capt. Feild on Jefferson St. Shaved after dinner and took baby to see Mrs. Merchent. Lost carriage robe coming home. Mrs. Raines, Mary, the baby and I went to Ms. Pork. Mama and her crowd were there. Coming back we talked to Jesse Steele. Mr. Layman gave Norman candy. 

On Sunday, July 25, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Took a bath. Mary and I rolled baby up to Mamma's, ate dinner and supper. Mr. Carnosay and Mr. Craft were there. Came home at 9:30 p.m. Mary had a fainting spell. Everett was up to Mamma's with Marjorie.

On Monday, July 26, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot day. Wrote up payrolls and Expense bills. Loam phoned Mary that they were coming down for dinner Wednesday. "Leelanaw" sunk by Germans. Harry Raines drove Mrs. Raines, Norman, and I out to Waverly Place and to ice plant at brewery. Shaved.

On Tuesday, July 27, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Very Hot. Went out to Mr. Schick's house for his glasses. Mrs. Raines took Norman up town to Bank, Kress', and Mac Bain's. At 8:20 p.m. Harry drove his mother, the baby, Mary and I up to Aunt Annie Raines'. Cool air, fine drive, bright moonlight. Came home at 10:10 p.m.

On Wednesday, July 28, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot Day. Loam, Effie, and their children came down home and spent the day. I wrote Jake. At night, I shaved took a bath and washed my head. "Feely" left Effie's things on car on way down home.

On Thursday, July 29, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot Day. Went to train #1 to put on catalogue for Mr. Schick. At night, Mary and I took the baby and went to band concert in Elmwood Park. I talked to Irvin Hodgin. Mr. Schick went out on the line. 

Maybe it's just because I am very tired after a very busy week at work, but I didn't find a whole lot in this week's entries to comment about.  I do wonder where the brewery in Roanoke was in 1915.  There also was the interesting note about the Germans sinking a ship.  I believe that is how World War 1 started or maybe the war had already started but that sinking of ships is partly what brought the United States into the war, which I don't believe had happened by this time in 1915, yet.  Here in 2012, we had a good day at church today, attendance was good and spirit was good.  I am looking forward to a much more quiet week at work this week...hopefully. Congrats to Bonnie for stopping the use of tobacco, I am guessing that didn't stick because as long as I knew him he always smoked a pipe and cigars.  I have no idea what "Ms. Pork" was.  A barbeque place maybe?  Bonnie's handwriting was hard to read, so it could be Mt. Pork, Mt. Park, etc.        

No comments:

Post a Comment