About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lewis Gale Hospital

On Sunday, August 22, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pretty Day. Arose at 8 a.m. Shaved. Went to Mrs. Raines. Went up home in p.m. Ate supper. Came home on car. Sid. Raines gave Norman 25 cents for his bank. Grover Mercer drowned.

On Monday, August 23, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool and Pleasant. Elmer and W.M. Brown and I went down street to the "American" and "Bijou" at night. Mrs. Raines stayed with Mary. I talked to Mr. Hancock about Skin. Pretty Moon-light night.

On Tuesday, August 24, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Nice. Papa, Jess and Christine came down home and stayed for supper. I shaved and Mary and I went to Lewis Gale Hospital to see Myrtle English. Retired at 12. Mr. Schick left.

On Wednesday, August 25, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Nice. Received a letter from E.J. Rowan at Norfolk, VA. Mary, Norman, and Mrs. Raines spent the day with Mrs. Abshire. Mr. Raitt brought Elton down. I ate lunch at the office and went to see "The Right of Way" at "American". Ate supper at Mrs. Raines.

On Thursday, August 26, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Pleasant Weather. Filed mail. Read "The Yoke". Went to station for tripod. Took Lutie Steffey and Mary Randelman home to supper with me. They left at 9:30 p.m. Pretty moonlight night.

On Friday, August 27, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Gloomy-Rain. Mr. W.P. Wiltsee came in office and borrowed my umbrella. Shaved at night. Mr. Brown and Elmer left at midnight for Norfolk, VA.

On Saturday, August 28, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Rain. Got a card from Captain Rowan. Stayed at home in the afternoon and Mrs. Raines came up awhile at night.

I am a little off schedule on posting, but we are caught up to corresponding dates.  I hope to get back on schedule this weekend. Not much doing in Bonnie's world of 1915 it doesn't sound like.  There was nice weather for the most part and lots of visiting and going to the movies.  I will say that this was the first mention, I believe, of Lewis Gale hospital out of all the years I have blogged about.  That seems unusual, but neat to know that they were around in 1915! Things have gotten busier here in 2012 with school back in session and Caleb playing soccer and now also he is refereeing soccer too.  Tonight are his first 2 games as a referee. Hope it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment