About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, July 22, 2012

Campbell Ave. Fire

On Friday, July 16, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very Hot Day. Ethel Brown went after my camera at Bergendahl's. Rain came up in afternoon. Wrote to Effie. Mary and I took the baby down to Mrs. Raines' and drank iced tea and ate watermelon. Talked to Mrs. Mabry.

On Saturday, July 17, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot Day. Wrote to John Hancock about coming over on week's vacation in September. Rained in afternoon. Took a bath and shaved. Mary and I went up street to the "American" Theater. Mrs. Raines kept Norman.

On Sunday, July 18, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot! Werner Schalz died. Arose at 8:30. Took baby to Mrs. Raines. Went to church. Ate Dinner at Mrs. Raines'. Went up to see Loam and Mamma. Ate supper at Mamma's. Mary and I took baby to Elmwood Park. Harry rolled baby out to 10th Ave. S.W.

On Monday, July 19, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Awfully Hot. Met Bill Fisher. Walked to work with me. Rained P.M. Watched fire on Campbell Ave. at noon. Very hot at night. Took bath and shaved. Retired at 10:30 p.m.

On Tuesday, July 20, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy-Warm. Werner Schalz buried today in "Fairview". Sin started driving a car for Stuart McGhee. Mr. Raitt stayed at home in p.m.

On Wednesday, July 21, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Raining. Mary, her mother, and the baby went to visit Mrs. Austin. I went to Buchanan to meet Effie and Pearl and kids. Saw Joe Seymour and boys. Skin took the folks to Loam's in automobile. Mary and I went to Loam's and Mamma's at night. 

On Thursday, July 22, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool. Wrote letter to Lena and sent her package. Got cake of Castile soap from Mrs. Raines. Pearl, Teeny and Lady came down home. Mrs. Raines up at night. Shaved. Dark, cool, night. 

Seems like several things struck me as I wrote this today, let me see if I can remember them.  First, the weather.  Here in 2012, we have all this talk of "global warming" and yet the weather that Bonnie describes in 1915 seems to be really similar to what we have today, even thought Bonnie does not provide a lot of specifics.  Also, Werner Scahlz died in 1915 and was buried in Fairview cemetery.  I wonder if I could find his grave there in 2012?  That would be kind of neat. Bonnie watched another fire in downtown Roanoke on Monday, July 19, 1915 and last night here in 2012 there was a big fire on 10th St. in Roanoke. Smoke and flames could be seen for miles from the General Truck Body building. 2 firefighters were injured but not seriously.  And then, on Wednesday, July 21, 1915 Bonnie writes about going to Buchanan, which is where in 2012 I currently pastor a church.  So many connections to history, it's really neat.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment