About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lindbergh and Labor

On Monday, December 12, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-Sultry. Arose at 6:20. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:45. Not so busy today. Went to McLelland's and Kress and looked at wash basin. Got curtain springs. Walked home at 5:35. Wrote for Mr. Moseley. Mary got two blue rugs from Larkin. Read after supper. Went to bed at 10:30.

On Tuesday, December 13, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot. Hazy. "Lindy" flew to Mexico. Arose at 6:25. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Lindbergh "hopped off" from Washington D.C. to Mexico City. Big crowds all over the city looked for him, but in vain. Mr. Drewry came over at night. Brought rabbit for Mary. I shaved after supper. Mary sewed. I read until 10:15. Got to bed 11:20.

On Wednesday, December 14, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm-Sunny. Rain at night. Arose at 6:50. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:50. Took a walk at noon. Mary feels tired and anxious. Went home on car at 6:00 p.m. Jim Drewry came over after supper and he and Annah Lee sang and played. I shaved. Jane is still very sick. Loam came down with letter from John Lawlor about Mama. We retired 11:00.

On Thursday, December 15, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Rain-Warm. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 8:55. Got my check cashed at noon. Paid 57th note on house. Sent Grace Gee $2.00 Lindbergh was received in Mexico with great enthusiasm. Mr. Drewry came over at night. I shaved. Baby Jane and I went to the store. I got up at 12:30 a.m. to look at the furnace.

On Friday, December 16, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Damp-Cloudy. Arose at 7:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Mary had a vomiting spell. I deposited $19.80 (P.T.A.) for Mary. Got shirt and 3 pair hose from Oak Hall = $3.50. Got home at 6:30. Paid Musser the grocery bill = $35.90. Mary feels better. My head aches. Read awhile after supper. To bed at 11:00.

On Saturday, December 17, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold-Clear. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Awfully rushed all morning. Cut wood from 3:33 to 5:00 p.m. Very Chilly. Swept basement. Took a bath at 6 o'clock. Mary feeling very bad. Norman went to YMCA at 7:00 p.m. My eyes hurt very much. Baby Jane and Annah Lee went shopping. Retired at 11:00.

On Sunday, December 18, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Chilly-Sunny. Mary's Labor began. Arose at 9:00. Mary got up at 7:30 and made a fire. The children went to Sunday School. I went to the office at 10:30. Caught up my mail at 1:00 p.m. Mary feeling pretty bad. I phoned Dr. Charles about specimen urine. Children went to church at 3:00 p.m. Mrs. Felty and Dorothy came in. Mary sick tonight.

In 1927, kind of an eventful week with all of the Lindbergh stuff going on and Mary's labor began!  I also thought it was neat that apparently people in Roanoke went outside and looked to the sky to try and see Lindbergh.  In 2011, an eventful week here too.  Beth had surgery on her hand.  Caleb has possibly broken his ankle and we are having the church over to our house tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment