About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Magic Garden

On Thursday, May 26, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes.  Shaved. Left home at 8:00. Norman and other boys went with Sunday School Sup't. on a hike. I took Annah Lee's watch back to Schneer's to be fixed. Got home at 6 o'clock. Cut some wood. Awfully tired. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson came by home in their car. I read until 9:30. To bed at 10:00.

On Friday, May 27, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Feel awfully "blue" and despondent. Mary continues to have those severe vomiting spells. I took walk at noon. Mary, the girls and I went to the Jefferson to see "The Magic Garden". It was good. Got home at 10:;30 in bed by 11:00.

On Saturday, May 28, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Rain-Cold. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Raining all day. Got castings from Giles. Pottered around home during the afternoon. Took a bath about 6:00 p.m. Went to Mrs. Drewry's and got oil to rub Mary's limbs. She feels very weak and sick. We went to bed at 11:00.

Well, Bonnie and Mary are both still not feeling well.  I still say Mary is pregnant, I think.  At least they took my advice from the other day and they all went to the theater, except Norman, and they seemed to have had a good time.  On this Memorial Day weekend in 2011, we are action packed.  We as a family went out to eat last night and bought clothes for our upcoming cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.  Today I officiated a wedding at Smith Mountain Lake. It was pretty. Beth accompanied me.  Then Caleb and I and Ben Nicely watched the UEFA Champions league soccer game on TV.  Barcelona beat Manchester United 3-1. Caleb was disappointed.  Tomorrow we have church and then Caleb and I are going to Charlotte, NC for the Coke 600 NASCAR race.  Then on Monday, we are all going to a Salem Red Sox baseball game in one of the VIP suites and then possibly to see William Byrd varsity boys play in a regional play-off soccer game...whew...but a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment