About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lindenburg Flight

On Saturday, May 21, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Lady on 9th St. took Minnie Burnett and me to town in her car at 8:00. Got a load of wood from Mr. Meadows $2.50. Cut wood from 4:40 to 6:30. Lindenburg, American, alone reported as having arrived in Paris on non-stop flight. I shaved after supper. Took a bath at 10:30.

On Sunday, May 22, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Arose at 7:00. Mary made a fire. I took out ashes. We went to Sunday School. I stayed for church with Annah Lee. Norman wore his scout uniform; attended Belmont Presbyterian Sunday School. I feel terribly despondent today. The Martin Children came over. I read in p.m. Mary lay down I retired at 10:00.

I haven't made any comments in a really long time because we have been really busy, but today was one of those times when Bonnie writes about something from history that I just find so fascinating.  Apparently May 21, 1927 is when Lindenburg landed in Paris after a solo, non-stop flight across the Atlantic, at first at the time.  That's pretty cool.  I have read about that flight, but when your great-grandfather writes about it in his diary, it just kind of makes it more real.  I will have to say that I am noticing a different tone in this diary it seems than in 1916.  I am not sure if it has to do with the Great Depression  that is approaching.  But Bonnie seems to be very down, a lot. He writes a lot about not feeling well and being despondent.  I think he needs to go to the theater again!

Here in 2011, yesterday passed without the world coming to an end.  Harold Cummings had predicted that the world would end yesterday as Jesus would return.  Obviously it didn't happen and lots of people are scoffing at him and his followers, me included somewhat. However, we should also remember that Jesus IS coming back one day we just don't know when and we should be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment