About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, October 7, 2012

Man in Water

On Friday, October 1, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Rainy. Selma, Va. Arose at 8 a.m. Baby cut a tooth. Read papers and mail from Mary. Mama and Effie went down to Riner to see man in water. Effie and I stayed at hospital with Jake from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. John was called out on road.

On Saturday, October 2, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool. Clear. Talked to Mr. Heron. Arose 7:00 a.m. Mama gave me $2.00. Went to Hospital from 8:30 to 9:20. Met Misses Walked and Abell (nurses). Talked to Mrs. Aylestock. Met Russell West at Buchanan. Came with me to Roanoke. Ate supper at Mrs. Raines and took bath. Capt. Rowan gave me check. Went to meat and grocery store. Haircut, Shave, bath. 

On Sunday, October 3, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Clear. Passiu boy killed. Arose 9 a.m. Went to office with Elmer Brown. Talked with Mr. Schick. Straightened out correspondence. Ate dinner 3:30. Went to Loam's and took supper. Went to church. Met Howard Fisher and Marie Hines. Talked to Susie Scholtz and Corrine Mabry at 9:30 p.m. 

On Monday, October 4, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm. Mr. Schick went to Bluestone. Mr. McIlwayne came in to see us. I went to Bank and paid bills. Bought a knife for $1.00. Bought a safety razor. Shaved with it with fine results. Went to Mrs. Raines. Paid $5.00 on coal. Will Passiu's body brought home.

On Tuesday, October 5, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm. Skin drove me to office in machine. Wrote up bills etc. Talked to Papa. Bought tooth brush and dental cream. Wrote Blaine and Mr. Damewood. Buried W.C. Passiu. Mrs. Raines came up at night. Mary played piano. Mr. Bell called me. Got watch from Tom Griffin. Bought a box of candy 60 cents at Johnson and Johnson's.

On Wednesday, October 6, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Steady Rain. Mr. Schick in. Shaved at night with safety razor. Corrine Mabry, Mrs. Brown, Elmer and Ethel up. Corrine played. Bought two nipples and candy. Wrote up heavy mail in office. Retired 11 p.m.

On Thursday, October 7, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Raining. President Wilson announces his engagement. Copied estimates and bills. Wrote to Jake and Aunt Emma Leslie. Mr. Raines and Papa up. Elmer Brown and I carried stove from attic and put it up. 

Okay, so I have been away awhile and want to offer my apologies to any regular readers I may have.  I have just been really busy recently.  I have had to work the past 2 weekends for the fire department and the weeks before that we had things like Springwood Baptist Church's 180th Homecoming.  My current thinking is just that I will start with October and go forward without making up any of those weeks that I missed, which would be most of September 1915.  That may change and so If I do go back and make some of those missed posts up, they will be out of order...oh well.  During this hiatus, I did pick up a new reader, Tammy, who commented on a recent post, to say that she was doing research on Dr. J.C. Burks and St. Charles hospital and found this blog.  Welcome to Tammy!  Bonnie does write about Dr. Burks and St. Charles hospital fairly frequently.  Today, in 2012 it is cold and rainy here in Roanoke.  Mom went to church with us.  Beth and Rachel ran this afternoon in preparation for the drumstick dash.  The kids have an FCA event tonight at Northside High School. It sounds as though Jake, Bonnie's brother, was in the hospital, maybe in Selma, Va. which is near Clifton Forge, and Bonnie had gone there to see him.  When Bonnie comes home on the train, he always comes through Buchanan.  I did not understand the man in the water part, that Mama and Effie went to see in Riner.  It was neat to see that Bonnie wrote about President Woodrow Wilson, who was born in Staunton, Va. announcing his engagement.   

No comments:

Post a Comment