This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Catching Up. End of September 1915

On Friday, September 24, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Very Chilly. Took a sea salt bath. Fair closed on this night. Traded tobacco with Mr. Brown. No letter from Mamma regrading Jake's condition. Corrine Mabry played: "Narcissus".

On Saturday, September 25, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cool-Pleasant. Walked to work with Capt. Field. Worked all afternoon on "overhead crossings of Blfd. Tel. Co."  Went up street at night. Got stick pin and candy also cigars. Cut Elmer Brown's hair. Retired 11:30 p.m.

On Sunday, September 26, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool. Took a salt bath and shaved. Mary went to station with me. Met. Mr. Woodahl in Lynchburg. Smoked cigars and went to his office. Sent Mary card. Met a Brown bot on No. 9. Arrived in Clifton 8:30 p.m. Went to Selma in jitney - 10 cents. Paul Lawlor and Ollie Smith there. 

On Monday, September 27, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Rainy Day. Mama and I went to Hospital. Met Mr. Gleason and Diefert. Also Mr. Damewood. Girl played piano. I went back in p.m. until 6 o'clock. Mrs. Doyle and Ruth came over and stayed until 9:30. I was feeling very badly, eye strain and severe headache. Wrote to Mary, Loam and E.J. Rowan.

On Tuesday, September 28, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cool and Cloudy. Arose at 7 a.m.. Christine, Edward, Edith and I cut weeds. John came in off road. Edith ran a calf around field by the tail. Alice Ross over. Went up to see Mrs. Lindsay and Irene. Met Reed Thomas. Ate supper at Aylestock's. Teeny and I stayed at Hospital until 8:30 p.m.

On Wednesday, September 29, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cloudy-Rain. Got letter and papers from Mary. Effie and I went to the hospital in afternoon. Came home at 6 o'clock. Paul Lawlor came up and stayed until 10 o'clock. Dark and gloomy night.

On Thursday, September 30, 1915 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Cold and Damp. Arose at 8:30 a.m. John Lawlor came in off road. We both shaved. Wrote to Mary and Blaine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment