About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Cigars and Gum!

On Friday, October 28, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Mild-Sunny. Arose at 7:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 8:00. Mr. Noel on jury, struck off. Mary still suffering. I took a good walk at noon. The children attended a Halloween party at Scoutmaster Hillsman's house at 7:30 p.m. They got home about 10:00.  got pint of ice cream. Mary and I ate it. To bed at 10:45. 

On Saturday, October 29, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Mild. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 8:00. Didn't do much work this morning. Mary phoned me that shrubbery was at express office. Mr. Argenbright came by office for me and we got trees, (wrong bundle). Ben Piner brought our down in auto. I planted all the trees and 2 vines by 5:30. Took a bath at 10:00 p.m. Got to bed 11:00.

On Sunday, October 30, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Warm-Pleasant. Arose at 8:30. Mary made fire. The children attended Sunday School. I was too late. Had to shave. Walked to town and got cigars and chewing gum, 11:30. Walked home 12:30. H.L. Scott's baby born today. Read most of afternoon. Mary a pains in her side. Mrs. Burnett came over after supper. Bed 10:00.

In 2011, great day at church today.  Mom was there along with Bobbie, Peggy and Kay.  Also had Rachel Crawford and family there as part of my sermon. Good crowd and Harvest fest after church with lots of fun. Watched a good soccer game after church, now watching car race.  Sounds like Bonnie was really doing some planting.  Typical Bonnie in missing church by being late shaving and hen just going to get cigars and gum!

No comments:

Post a Comment