This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Good Intentions

On Tuesday, October 4, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Pleasant. Board Meeting. Arose at 6:50. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Mary went with Mrs. Drewry and Jim to his mother's to take dinner, leaving at 9:00 a.m. I called home at 12:15. Talked to Baby Jane. Attended Board Meeting at 8:00 p.m. 13 present. Got out at 9:15. Rode to Campbell Ave. with A.R. Harris. Got home about 9:25. To bed about 10:00.

On Wednesday, October 5, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Pleasant. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:55. Mary called me at noon. She feels bad. Her sides pain her. I didn't go out at noon. Got home 5:50. Cut some wood before supper. Norman did too. He went to a show. I played records. Read awhile. We got to bed by 10:30.

On Thursday, October 6, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Pleasant. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Mr. Noel came in at 2:20 p.m. I practically loafed all morning. Walked at noon. Grace Gee, Fannie, and Richard ate supper with us. Norman went to scout meeting. Grace and the rest left at 9:00 p.m. We walked to car with them.

On Friday, October 7, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Hot. Arose at 7:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:55. Not so busy today. Waked over to N. East at 1:45. Talked to Herbert Downs. He is operating turntable at the shops. I got home about 5:30. Read papers until 10:00 p.m. Went to bed about 10:30. Warm at night.

On Saturday, October 8, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Rain p.m. Hot. Arose at 6:55. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:50. Got to office at 8:20. Very busy. Mr. Noel called for jury duty on Monday. I got home 1:40. Cut wood from 5 to 6 p.m. Took bath and shaved. Mary is feeling very "tight" and tired out. We went to bed about 11:00 p.m. Chilly at night. Slept well.

On Sunday, October 9, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Arose at 8:30. Mary made fire at 7:00. The children went to Sunday School. I went up town at 11:20 intending to go to church. Met Arthur Elmore and talked until 1:00 p.m. Read most all afternoon. Versey and Eleanor Wood came to play with the children. They left about 6:00. I read until 9:45. To bed 10:00.

As I understand it, this was classic Bonnie behavior, to be intending to go to church, meet someone to talk to and miss church all together!  It didn't just happen with church, but with other things as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment