About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Mary!

On Wednesday August 31, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Sunny-Warm. Arose at 6:50. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Busy all day. Got my check cashed at noon. Paid bills. Had the girls' shoes repaired. Got haircut at 5:30 p.m. Mary has sharp pains in her side. Mr. Noel left at 5:20 p.m. for York, Pa. I wrote to Mrs. Gee. Went to bed early.

End of month note for August 1927:  General Leonard Wood, Governor General of the Philippines, died. Great sensation over Sacco and Vanzetti affair. Judge Elbert H. Gary died on 15th. J. Ogden Armour died in London. Dr. Spanell Gale died on 19th, of auto-intoxication and Paresis. Mr. J.R. Richmond died on 23rd.

On Thursday, September 1, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Pleasant. Mary is 32 years old today. I got up at 6:30. Made  fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Ethel Wade phoned that she was coming over at noon. I got to the office at 8:30. Walked around at noon. Got home at 6 p.m. Read after supper. Don't feel good. My cough is still with me. To bed 11:00.

Happy Birthday Mary! I notice that there was no real mention of a celebration for Mary"s birthday.  Maybe she didn't want one or there wasn't time or money.  Also, neither Bonnie or Mary seem to be feeling well still.  The end of month note is kind of neat, lots of death mentions.  We discussed the auto-intoxication thing in an earlier post.  I did look up this Sacco and Vanzetti affair. It would have been national news in 1927 and all the events took place in Massachusetts.  These 2 are Italian immigrants and were "anarchists", which I would describe as what we would today call terrorists.  They were accused of a robbery and murder in 1920 and were executed on August 23, 1927 and there is apparently great debate even today about their guilt or innocence.  Again this is another reason I love Bonnie"s diary so much, is picking up on these historical events mixed in with the daily life of side pains and coughs!

No comments:

Post a Comment