About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Monday, September 12, 2011

Back to School

On Wednesday, September 7, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot-Sunny. Home p.m. At Bristol, Va. Arose at 7:30. Tom hollered goodbye to us. Mary packed traveling bag. I read magazine. We went to station in taxi. John was there. I read most of the way home. Awfully tired. Mrs. Burnett brought us a tray of supper. I took bath, as did the children. We went to bed about 10:00 p.m.

On Thursday, September 8, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sultry. School opened. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Left home 7:50. The children started back to school. I wrote to Grace and Tom Gee. Walked down at noon. Wrote the children's names in their school books after supper. Read until 9:30. Went to bed about 10:00 p.m. Warm at night. Didn't sleep well.

On Friday, September 9, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny.  Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 7:55. Baby Jane went to school on same car. I took rings to Henebry and Roanoke Jewelry Co. for inspection at noon. Came home at 5:30. Wrote mama. Mary feels bad. Veins in her legs paining her severely. Retired at 10:00.

On Saturday, September 10, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:50. Worked hard all morning. Got home at 1:30. Annah Lee, Baby Jane and I cut grass. I cut wood. Shaved after supper. Have case of indigestion. Took a bath about 11:00. Awfully sore and tired. To bed at 11:30.

On Sunday, September 11, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Hot-Sunny. Bob Elmore here. Arose at 8:00. Mary got up at 7:30 and made fire. The children went to Sunday School. Annah Lee, Baby Jane and I attended church. Met Bob Elmore. He ate dinner with Britts. Harry phoned Mary and talked sharply to her. I read most all afternoon. None of us attended church tonight.

On Monday, September, 12, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote:  Arose at 6:50. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:55. Busy all day. Mary called me at noon. Has cramps in her side. Deposited $6.00 on Christmas savings account. Got home at 6 p.m. Read papers and magazine until 10 p.m. Went to bed about 10:25. Warm.

So school started back for the Elmores in 1927.  That seems late, seeing as how our kids have been back for several weeks now.  Been warm here too, but our air conditioning was broken, which I realize they didn't have in 1927.  Amazing.  Not sure how they did it.  In fact, they were still building fires, though I think some of that may have been for cooking.  I can't write the date September 11, even September 11, 1927, without thinking about what happened on September 11, 2001.  Yesterday marked the 10th anniversary of that horrific day in our nation's history.  We recognized it at church and went to a memorial service downtown on market square where I had the invocation and Rep. Goodlatte spoke.  TV said there were about 2000 people there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment