About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tenderfoot Norman

On Sunday, March 6, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny Pleasant. Communion Day. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. The children and I went to Sunday School. Norman came home. The girls and I stayed for church. I helped serve. Harry and Eugene Ford came to see us. Harry gave Mary $282.00 diamond ring. I drew on lesson #1 until 10:40 p.m. Annah Lee and Baby Jane recited at the Brethren Church.

On Monday, March 7, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Pleasant. F.P.T. went away. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Went to Musser's at 7:10. Busy all day. Didn't go out at noon. Raining. Got home at 6:10. Bought new record. Baby Jane, Annah Lee and I went with Norman to be initiated as a "Tenderfoot" Scout. We saw show at park "The Son of the Sheik" Got home 11:00. To bed at 11:40.

On Tuesday, March 8, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-Chilly. Board meeting. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 8:00. WPW, FPT, OVP, are away. Didn't do much in a.m. Harry M. Haffen tuned our piano for $4.00. The has improved wonderfully. I attended Board meeting at 8:00 p.m. Walked downtown with Bro. Scoot. Mrs. Drewry came over. We retired about 11 o'clock. (Yes, Bonnie left out a word in this entry.)

On Wednesday, March 9, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Rain-Chilly. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 8:00. Wrote mail for Clayton. Mr. Kitchin came to the office and talked to me half an hour. Annah Lee is to spend the night with a girl on Tazewell Avenue. I shaved. Loam called up at 9:00 p.m. Mary went to Mrs. Drewry's. Luther Beamer is here. Retired at 11:00.

On Thursday, March 10, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Fair-Sunny. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:45. Wrote "Status of Authorities Report". Didn't go out at noon. Turner is away. Frank Callahan went to Columbus on Car (3) to meet WPW, his first trip. I read after supper from 8 to 10:30. Quite chilly tonight. Went to bed about 11 o'clock, tired and sleepy.

On Friday, March 11, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Warm. Arose at 6:10. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home at 8:00. Mr. Turner is back. I wrote a letter for Chas. H. Mercer, Chf. Engr. for Beth. Steel Co. Got 3 pair socks at noon, Oak Hall. Norman attended Scout meeting at 7:00 p.m. Presbyterian Church. I read. Annah Lee prepared for a debate on Edison and Luther Burbank.

On Saturday, March 12, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Mild. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Mr. Upson took me to town at 8:00 in his car. Mr. Turner dictated a letter. He left on #1 to look at a damaged bridge. The children and I prepared flower beds, hauled fertilizer and placed around roses. I cut wood. This has been a beautiful spring day. Took a bath about 10:00. To bed at 11:00.

So, I had gotten a little behind in my blogging. I was out of town for part of the week for a class for work. I had gotten a comment from another relative of Bonnie's! Welcome to the blog! Norman's second wife is Lucille and I visited with her this weekend. Her daughter passed away and I did the graveside service. During the visit with Lucille I got to see some neat pictures of Norman and also received the 1915 diary, which is what I will use starting January 2012. I enjoy reading about the things the children are doing. Today, in 2011, we all went downtown Roanoke for the St. Patrick's Day parade. Big crowd and beautiful weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment