This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.

Sunday, March 20, 2011


On Friday, March 18, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:45. Went to Court House at 1:45 p.m. got tax blanks. Mr. and Mrs. Welch came up to see us after supper. I shaved! Mr. Rowland came down and talked awhile. Mary cleaned house. Mr. Rothwell came to look at rooms, rel. to painting.

On Saturday, March 19, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. I oiled screen doors, front and back in the afternoon. Cut wood for an hour. Baby Jane and Annah Lee went with Mrs. Drewry to the Food Show. I took a bath at 10:30. Read magazine. we got to bed about 12:00. Quite tired.

On Sunday, March 20, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Hot-Sunny. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. We all went up on car at 9:50. Mary and the children went to Sunday School. I went to the office. W.P.W. didn't come. Made our tax list. Baby Jane and Annah Lee went home with Mary Britts for dinner. Harry phoned at 1 p.m. Ate supper with us. I drew until 10:00. Bed 11:00.

Very busy weekend here in 2011. Lillian Peery from Springwood passed away and I had the funeral. Visitation Friday night and funeral Saturday morning. Then I had to work at the fire department Saturday afternoon and work on my sermon. Good day at church today. We had some folks back that we hadn't seen in awhile. The weather has been beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment