About

This blog is mainly taken from my Great Grandfather's diary. In 2012 we are in the year 1915, after completing 1916 in 2010 and 1927 in 2011. 1915 is the year that my Great Uncle Norman was born. 1927 is the year that my Great Uncle Roger, was born. 1916 was the year that my grandmother, Annah Lee was born.

My Great-Grandfather's name was Bonnie Elmore and he worked as a clerk or secretary for the old Norfolk & Western Railroad, based in Roanoke, VA. Mary is his wife. Norman is their first born son. The Raines are Mary's parents. Skin is Bonnie's brother along with Jake.

Bonnie's work associates and friends are also mentioned quite a bit. Bonnie does a great job of blending everyday life in 1915 with the mention of some world and USA history as well. I do know from a quick glance ahead that 1915 is going to be quite different as Bonnie did not write quite as much.

After Bonnie's diary entry, I will occasionally make comments, maybe tell a little about life in 2012, possibly some current events, and some musing about the Christian faith.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

Express Office.

On Wednesday, February 9, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Chilly-Hazy. Norman is 12 years old today. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home at 7:40. Annah Lee still feels bad, but went to school. Mary went up to see Reva (Gee) Wilson. I feel awfully tired and exhausted tonight. Helped children with lessons. Addressed Valentines. To bed at 10:00. On Thursday, February 10, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Cloudy-Mild. (Raining at 6 p.m.) Arose at 6:00 a.m. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. Left home 7:55. Mary went to school house in afternoon to help fix draperies etc. Mr. Argenbright went to Exp. office. Didn't get school supplies, locked. Mr. Argenbright took me to the express office in his car 5:30, ware room locked, didn't get table and papers. Don't feel at all good. On Friday, February 11, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Mild. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Read awhile. Left home 7:50. My head aches. Wrote to Mama. Walked to the express office at 1:50. Also to Shapiro's for rings (not ready). Mr. Argenbright came to the office in his car for me. Went to the express office, locked up. I read until 10 o'clock. On Saturday, February 12, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Sunny-Mild. Mr. Jno. L. Sullivan died. Arose at 6:00. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Left home 7:50. Worked hard all a.m. Have had headache. Mr. Argenbright came to the office in his car - We got drawing table and papers from express office. Cut wood in p.m. Mr. Drewry braced back steps for me. Washed my hair. Mary had severe case of indigestion. On Sunday, February 13, 1927 Bonnie Elmore wrote: Rain-Chilly-Cloudy. At the office in a.m. Arose at 6:30. Made a fire. Dumped ashes. Shaved. The children and I went up town together on car at 9:45. They attended Sunday School. I went to the office. Mary felt sick. She stayed at home. I studied text of Division No. 1 of my course all afternoon. After supper, Mary played the piano. We sang. Norman went to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment